Thursday, August 27, 2009

And the word dwelt among -----me?
 
Psalms 46:10 Be Still, and know that I am God
 
Chances are if you have ever been involved in a retail business, you realize the most difficult task on a daily
basis is cultivating peace and serenity in your life. From keeping customers happy to constantly being on
the go, planning, creating and executing the daily duties of running a business involving the public. It is no
Wonder my life seems to be in constant turmoil.
Well one evening that changed even if just for a little while. I remember being particularly caught up in
Work. I rushed and rushed and rushed some more. I was in Indianapolis picking up supplied for a
wedding and I headed east on highway seventy to rush home. I remember passing the Mount Comfort
exit as I was approaching the Greenfield exit. The same exit I had taken for many years. Suddenly I
realized I was past my exit. How in the heck could I have done that? I first felt stupid. Than mad. Than a
bit frustrated. Than concerned as to how I could drive from Mount Comfort past Greenfield without
remember seeing the road.
 
As I spotted the sign that said twelve miles to next exit, I let out a little breath and looked out my window.
The sun was just going down. The Indiana countryside was bathed in sunlight making what lye before me
look almost like a picture postcard. It was beautiful. I was at that moment filled with awe.
I realized that maybe me driving several miles without seeing had nothing to do with me. Maybe it was
God’s way of watching over me and forcing me to slow down. I could only rejoice in that much needed
time alone with Him to talk and to bath in the glory of His creation.
But that was not the end of this story. Soon I got to the Knightstown exit and turned my car around to go
back. Because the son was now setting in the west I say the most beautiful sunset ever. Here I thought I
had already received God’s gift and instead his real gift was over my shoulder all the time. I was so excited
I could hardly wait to get home and share this with my family. I had definitely forgotten how God speaks to
us in such direct ways.
I still rush a lot. It is part of my business and usually is a necessity when you deal with the public. God was
not saying “don’t rush”. He was saying don’t miss the sunsets in life. It is so easy to speed right by your
exit and miss the important things in life.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment