Friday, March 3, 2017

My Irish Friend

                           


 I sat alone on the old wooden swing,
feeling the autumn breeze wash across my face.
It feels empty now without  the sturdy shoulder
relaxed beside me
                                of the man I now call friend.

We met in a war,...... but still it was a joyous time.
A time to pour your feelings out
and surround those loving children
                                                with your arms and your heart
and give a  moment of feeling wanted 
                                                          in a world filled with fear
and useless  raging  battles and  struggles to exist.

These orphans of Viet Nam held close and sheltered by
the Sisters and the soldiers,
                                            not hungry,         
not left along to fend for themselves.
They knew love,                    they new joy
and play and lived  as if the world around them
                        would someday be free of rockets and bullets .

Patrick was an Irishman,
                                    who came to war to see the world.
                                                                                  and he did.
He saw the anguish of war
                                               but he looked past the pain and

saw the children 
                             and fell in love with faces
                                                                       and tiny hands.
Patrick became a father, a brother, a friend
                                                                  to the children of war.
He stood with them,  he taught them and sometimes looking past the frightful fear for his own safety...just held them .
He balanced duty to an American cause,
a duty of choice not birth, with compassion and love for the Children of war.

Because of Patrick, I will forever be changed.
He shared the children of war and I became a better person.
He unlocked a compassionate heart
                                                              and took me to
place of peace in a place of fear and war.

I came home.
Home to wife and child and began my life.
But the fear of war would soon return and the haunting of the children's hungry  eyes filled my soul.
In silence, I cried. 
In silence, I  feared their unknown being.
War may end but mothers and fathers remain absent to these
Holy Children of War.
My only hope was that God would lift them to the sky
                                                    and bless them and make them 
 The Children of Love.


I lost Patrick, or Paddy as they called him. Lost him as the war ended for me. 
But the burden of memory called me to search him out.
I found Patrick,
not broken by the pain of war
but living and loving and carrying on in his father's homeland.
Home found him, and soon so did wife and child
                                             and  time and love healed his heart.
 
Little did  I ever hope  or dream that in finding this Irishman,
                            cultures and experience a million miles apart,
Our souls would touch
                                   and we would  became more than friends, 
more than brothers,
                                         more in life that we deserve from God.

Soul friends aren't ordinary friends. 
                                                  They can not be defined.
Words can not explain......  Only feelings .

Soul friends have no logic or reason. 
                                                              They just are.
So now I set alone in my wooden swing and I celebrate that
one day,...... maybe just for a moment in time , our hearts will touch again
                 and the conversation that we did not complete on that Indiana summer day in that old wooden swing,
                                                                            will continue
 and God will say
                                            AMEN.







No comments:

Post a Comment