Friday, December 24, 2021

Its a Howdy Doody Christmas

I believe this was Christmas 1951. I was with my two best friends at the time  Howdy Doody and my big brother David.  It mow seems pretty progressive of my parents to give a boy a doll. But Howdy Doody was a bid deal that year and even though my parents were pretty poor at the time, the splurged and gave me a doll. Here I am 70 years later and I still am not marked or changed forever by this gesture of love.
I did not have a lot of close friends at that time or even later in.life. A beautiful.little blonde headed girl with Shirley Temple long curls in her hair and my cousins who continue to be "best friends" were my blessings.  Howdy soon filled the spot  of best friend.  I remember talking to him and giving him presents on later Christmases.
Joyce found him in the attic  near my 35th  birthday and took him to a doll hospital and had him restored, probably from a bit of too much 
 friendship and a cracked composite head made years before plastic heads.   Howdy is hidden away  now now from fear stolen nut from.my Grand daughters that  thought he looked a little too much like" Chuckie".   
I really think my childhood gift from parents that loved me probably taught me how  to be a loving careing  father and maybe even husband.    I do know we should all cherish the memories of Christmas and continue to make new memories with our families and friends.  Merry Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment