Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mothers Prayers

Mother’s Prayers
I remember standing in the back of the church on Morgan Street while some old man began to pray. I almost always cracked one eye open , hoping to see who else did not close their eyes when they prayed. I always wondered what would happen if my eye looked out only to find another eye staring back. I knew I would either be in a lot of trouble or be sworn to silence not to tell on that person.
When my Dad prayed , now that was a different story. I always closed my eyes and often folded my hands because his prayers were the real thing. I knew when he spoke to God , God had to listen because to me growing up, he was the closest thing to God that I knew.
My mom, on the other hand never prayed. Not out loud at least. I always figured she prayed some time but just not in public. I considered her a good person. I just never thought of her up there on a pedestal with God like I did my dad.
I am sixty years old now and mother is ninety. The truth is I had just not been listening close enough to hear my mom’s prayers. I realize now that even thou she was never a deacon in our church. She never gave great speeches or sermons, she had a powerful message showing in the way she lived her life. She lived a quite simple life , raising her children and grandchildren and living her prayers in our home and in our church.
I know her faith was what kept our family together. Her silent but dynamic prayers were what kept us close to God and sheltered us time and time again. Her love and faith made me want to be “the good son” when I was nine years old and today at sixty her love and faith continue to inspire me to be a better person.
I will never place my mom upon a pedestal. Not because she doesn’t deserve it. I know in my heart she is one of the great “saints of heaven “that we sometimes sing about. But my mom is a real person. A real person that made mistakes and isn’t always perfect. But she has taken what God has given her and led a full and loving life doing the best she could with what she had.
Thank God for the silent prayers of all mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment